Life for music teacher Maggie Schafer has been full of flat notes lately. Sick of being single and celibate, she vows to get her groove back at the upcoming Western Washington Choral Directors Annual Retreat.
Too bad the only guy who seems interested is a pompous dork who thinks he’s God’s gift to women—and the music education world. When he gets a little too arrogant and crosses boundaries, gorgeous pianist Randy Devers swoops in to run interference. After sharing a shockingly hot kiss in front of the whole conference, Maggie and Randy come up with a plan to pretend they’re dating.
However, the more time they spend together—and the more physical their “pretend” relationship gets—the more she wonders if there could be anything beyond just smoking chemistry and a friendly agreement between them.
Maggie’s got history, Randy’s got baggage, and they’ve got a weekend to get their rhythms in sync and figure out how to turn their solo lives into a beautiful duet.
I loved this read. I was highly entertained. I admit, I am not usually a fan of novellas. They are just too short for me, however when an author such as Rancourt packs so much into so little, I am amazed. Truly a great little read. It didn't take me long to read, but at the end I felt like I had read a whole story. It was very well written and I loved the humor.
Just a fun read with great characters. I loved Randy. He has a dark past and has a bit of a rep. He was a lot of fun to read about especially from the first person pov. I just enjoyed this read overall and highly recommend.
Liv Rancourt writes light, funny, contemporary romance and urban fantasy. Her novel Hell…The Story was a 2014 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award quarterfinal entry. Previous publishing credits include Forever & Ever, Amen, a paranormal romance from Crimson Romance, and A Vampire’s Deadly Delight, an urban fantasy novella from Black Opal Books. She has also contributed several short stories to the Ten Tales series edited by Rayne Hall and she is represented by Margaret Bail from Inklings Literary Agency.
Liv’s day job is as a neonatal nurse practitioner, and she’s taken care of small and sick infants for almost thirty years. Before she got serious about writing, she spent her free time fronting a rock band and hanging out in the church choir. Currently, she lives in Seattle with her husband, two kids, and a slightly addled menagerie.
Liv's Top Ten Favorite Beers
(And yeah, I lean towards IPAs. Sue me.)
10. Smuttynose IPA (Had this one at a wedding in New Hampshire a few years ago, but it brings back fond, fond memories.)
9. Independence Pass Ale (Had this one at a wedding in Aspen. Hmm...I'm sensing a theme...)
8. Manny's Pale Ale (For years this was my workhorse beer, and I still like to nip out to Georgetown Brewery for a growler.)
7. Silver City IPA (Silver City Brewing isn't too far from Seattle, and they make some very good beers.)
6. Pelican IPA (Fortunately it's getting easier to find Pelican, an Oregon craft beer that didn't used to make it across the border very often.)
5. Fremont Interurban IPA (Comes in cans!)
4. Full Sail Amber Ale (This was my go-to beer before I found Manny's.)
3. Diamond Knot IPA (The Diamond Knot Brewery is conveniently located down near the Edmond's ferry, so it's easy to pick up a little vacay supply.)
2. Ninkasi Total Domination IPA (This one'll kick your teeth in if your not careful, but yum!)
1. Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' ($10 for a six-pack and WORTH EVERY PENNY!)