Sunday, September 1, 2013

LEANN'S REVIEW: Hex Hall (Rachel Hawkins) Hex Hall #1

Title: Hex Hall
 
Author: Rachel Hawkins
 
Format: Paperback
 
Series: Hex Hall
 
ISBN: 9781423121398
 
Published: February 1st 2011 by Disney-Hyperion
 
Source of Copy: Bought from Hastings
 
 
Summary:
 
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father-an elusive European warlock-only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.



(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)
 
 
 
Review:
 
     I found this book really hard to get into. I myself often read books from start to finish without putting them down. Of course sometimes I am forced to. This book however I found myself putting down quite often. I can't really say I liked the book but then again I didn't dislike it either.
 
    There is plenty of mystery and intrigue which on normal circumstances I love. This book just didn't do it for me. Sophie is your typical teenage girl (except she is a witch.) She is shipped off to a boarding school for her poor use of spells. There she finds herself in the middle of trouble once more. With typical high school drama (escalated by the fact that these children are anything but normal) you find yourself wrapped up in the story.
 
     This book is the first in the series and I am intrigued enough to look forward to the next. While I would say it's a good book, I would say so with out the so called fireworks of enthusiasm. That being said I will get straight to the rating...
 
 
 
Rating:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment