Thursday, August 28, 2014

GUEST BLOG: Kory M. Shrum

GUEST BLOG- KORY M. SHRUM


As a writer I have very eclectic reading needs. Also, I like to read what I’m trying to write. If my WIP has a strong mystery element, I might find myself seeking out a sassy sleuth. Or if my WIP has a strong scifi/fantasy vibe, I’ll need good world-building books to keep me company. So here are a few books that inspired me to write better. And even if you aren’t a writer, they are ridiculously good reads! :D

Science Fiction
Dune by Frank Herbert
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
World War Z by Max Brooks

Fantasy
Blue Moon and Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton (& other early Anita Blake novels)
Storm Front by Jim Butcher (and other Dresden novels)
Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (and other Mercy Thompson novels)
Graveyard Shift by Angela Roquet (and other Lana Harvey Reaper novels)
Midnight Blue by Nancy A. Collins
 
Mystery/Crime
The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
The Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich

Horror
anything by Stephen King
Short Fiction/Collections
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell
I am Legend by Richard Matheson

Graphic Novels/Comics
The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman
Fun Home and Are You My Mother by Alison Bechdel
Hyperbole and a Half by Ali Brosch
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

YA
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue by Kristen Cashore
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Harry Potter series, of course.

Nonfiction
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
Running with Scissors by
Augusten Burroughs
On Writing: A Memoir on Craft by Stephen King
Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick (based on a true story anyway)


Notice that I don’t have a strong romance section. That is an invitation! If you have great romance books in mind, let me know. I’m always looking to expand my repertoire ;)

Kory

Kory M. Shrum


No comments:

Post a Comment