Monday, July 27, 2015

Guest Post: Sheri Williams


GUEST BLOG

FROM ROMANCE WRITER TO HORROR HOOLIGAN

When I decided to be a writer I knew, I mean KNEW that I would be a romance writer. It was what I knew. It was what I read. The term ‘hopeless romantic’ is practically synonymous with my name.  And I went after that romance writer title with a passion (ha! pun) I wrote a novel, I wrote two pick-your-path-to-romance stories for an online publisher SilkWords. I wrote a short contemporary romance for an anthology with my writing group, The Writing Wenches. I started on my second novel, not a sequel per se, but a continuation on the fairy tale romance theme. And then something happened. Something snapped.

I watched a movie I’d seen before, The Immortals, and suddenly a whole story erupted into my head. A sick story. A twisted story. Nary a romance trope or Alpha hero to be seen. It shocked me. I am not what one would call a fan of horror. Or not a true fan anyway. I like classic horror. The Swamp Monster, Dracula, The Wolfman, these are things I like. But Stephan King gives me nightmares. So how was I supposed to say with a straight face that I wanted to write horror? I got lucky is how. I found this kickass group of horror writers who write the entire spectrum. I fall squarely on horror light (and I’m okay with that.)

These people, these HOOLIGANS, took me into the fold. And despite constantly being worried that they would figure out I was an imposter, they have embraced me. I have one Gothic Horror (with a dash of romance cause I just can’t quit it) and one hopefully true horror written, and one horror/fantasy serial in the works. I hope now that I can be considered a horror writer, despite my romantic beginnings. In reality I still want to write both. I still will make time to write a bit of each because as it turns out they are both crazy fun to write.And as easy as it is for me to write a sex scene, I find decapitating a person to be just as easy! Who knew?

So now when I write it’s less “boy meets girl, they fall in love” and more “boy meets girl and finds out she like to keep dead bodies in her deep freeze out back.”  Here’s hoping the Hooligans let me stick around long enough to explore that story, and the many more I have in my head.



Bio:
Sheri Williams is an author who suffers from self diagnosed Author Multiple Personality Disorder. She started writing Romance, sweet and sexy, and has since started Gothic Horror, with a side project in Psychological Horror.As well as being a writer, she is a wife, a mom, a geek. When not writing she can be found playing outside with her two daughters or binging on BBC shows on Netflix.She is currently working on two projects for Booktrope’s new Forsaken Imprint, and a short that will be a part of Bewitching Desires, an anthology put out with some fellow Writing Wenches.



Books- 



No comments:

Post a Comment