Thursday, July 23, 2015

LEANN'S REVIEW: Torn (Ashley Stambaugh)

Torn (Collide #2)
by Ashley Stambaugh 

Torn (Collide Trilogy, #2)

Three months have passed and Melina thought she was safe. Safe from the effects of the angel powers and safe from the Noxin demons. But she thought too soon.


Just as she’s starting to enjoy her new powers and her new relationship with Lee, the slight pain she still experiences after using the powers starts to grow worse. As the pain becomes more and more unbearable, she finds herself lashing out at innocent people with unexplained anger and hatred. Then to make matters worse, she sees a Noxin demon again.


No one, not even the elders, seems to know what’s happening to Melina, or how a Noxin demon found her. And when she’s introduced to Dean, another unique human like herself, she learns that his pain is completely gone, which only makes her situation even more confusing.


Grasping for any type of answer, Melina throws out one possible explanation after another. But as her angry feelings intensify, and her angel powers grow weaker, she begins to think there might be something malevolent inside her that’s trying to take over. It’s not long before her internal struggle spirals out of control, and her body is turned into a battlefield that’s torn between good and evil.


Melina fears that if no solution is found, then she might lose all the people she loves, especially Lee. But what scares her even more is that she might lose herself to evil.


REVIEW:
What to say here is difficult for me, not in a bad way though. I enjoyed the first book and did this one as well. I just have a few things that left me on the fence. There is more to this than the first story. The plot for Melina goes along smoothly. I really liked the development of her abilities in this one. I love the way her character is written. She just grabs your attention and pulls you in. I do feel like she needs more time for the romance in the plot or it needs to drop. I just feel like it is stuck in there. When it comes to romance in a book I want the full effect or none at all. I don't think the story needs to be centered around it, but it would be nice to see more of it. I am also a bit hung up on Dean's character. He is new and I just don't know what he brings to the story, if anything. I hope that we will learn more in the next installment.  
Aside from these things the story flows well after the first couple of chapters. I enjoyed the book and am excited to see what comes next in Melina's life. Excited to see where the author will take the character as well as the other characters. I do like this series and will definitely read on.
Rating:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment