Tuesday, September 17, 2013

LEANN'S REVIEW: Shadow of Night (Deborah Harkness) All Souls Trilogy #2

Title: Shadow of Night

Author: Deborah Harkness

Series: All Souls Trilogy

Format: Hardback

ISBN13: 9780670023486

Source of copy: Bought at Barnes and Noble

Summary:

IT BEGAN WITH A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES.

Historian Diana Bishop, descended from a line of powerful witches, and long-lived vampire Matthew Clairmont have broken the laws dividing creatures. When Diana discovered a significant alchemical manuscript in the Bodleian Library,she sparked a struggle in which she became bound to Matthew. Now the fragile coexistence of witches, daemons, vampires and humans is dangerously threatened.

Seeking safety, Diana and Matthew travel back in time to London, 1590. But they soon realise that the past may not provide a haven. Reclaiming his former identity as poet and spy for Queen Elizabeth, the vampire falls back in with a group of radicals known as the School of Night. Many are unruly daemons, the creative minds of the age, including playwright Christopher Marlowe and mathematician Thomas Harriot.

Together Matthew and Diana scour Tudor London for the elusive manuscript Ashmole 782, and search for the witch who will teach Diana how to control her remarkable powers...



(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)


Review:

I love this series. Deborah Harkness captures my complete attention with these books. Who needs sleep when you have Mathew and Diana to keep up captivated. Page after page I can not put these books down as I read them. (Yes I have already read ADOW more than once now)

I find this review hard to write... How do I sum up a book I love so much. It is a bit intense. Further more it is a bit hard not to reveal too many spoilers, as I want each of you to experience this book untainted by spoilers. I could honestly gush about this book for hours and tell you every little detail. I just want to talk about it.

I guess I will start with the experience. When I first finished ADOW I went on line to find out when the next book would be coming out in this series. Lets face it... That was one heck of a cliff hanger that needed answers. Only to find out the WAIT. It was well worth it though. I appreciate an author who takes the time and dedication to really make a book great. Some say this book might be too long. Me? I want this story to keep going and going. I couldn't get enough. I was a little worried this book might not live up to the first book in the series. That sometimes happens with authors. Harkness however did not let us down.

Mathew and Diana go back in time to hopefully help their future. We don't find out much that happens while they are gone from the future, but we do meet a lot of new characters. I really love the time and effort Harkness not only puts into her lead character but also the surrounding characters making them as much a part of the story as the leads. Ok.. I can't say anymore or I will reveal too much. Read this book I highly recommend it! Definitely one of my favorite books!

Rating:

 

  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment