Friday, February 14, 2014

THE TWINS REVIEW: Starcrush (Justine Erler)


Starcrush



Starcrush, A Novel by Justine Erler




Book blurb:

Close encounters of the crush-worthy kind. In the first novel of the Starcrush series, author Justine Erler introduces Genna Savoy, a psychically-gifted high school senior who finds herself torn between rival aliens who look … spectacularly human.




Excerpt:
I drifted into silence as my eyes fell over him, the way he leaned over the desk, chilled to the extreme. Yet there was something overpowering about him. That “easy does it, rule-the-world” attitude felt good to be around but just now I couldn’t decide whether this made him the most incredible guy I ever met — or the most obnoxious. 
I was relatively sure that the answer was not somewhere in between.

Author Bio:
Displaying Justine.jpg
Justine Erler is a consultant with a background in health care management. She lives in central New Jersey with her husband and daughter. Starcrush is her first novel of the series, combining Books I and II, and was written while in search of the perfect vampire-alternative story.

Links:
Starcrush Series Website:  http://StarcrushStory.com
Facebook:  Starcrush Story             Twitter:  @StarcrushStory
Amazon Purchase Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Starcrush-Justine-Erler-ebook/dp/B00HH13YDK



Starcrush, a Novel by Justine Erler

Author’s Q&A

Q. Please tell us about the inspiration for your current release.

A.  The inspiration is Colette’s Cheri and The Last of Cheri, which I view as the ultimate sensory romance. The writing is visceral in nature, so that every word is laden with an emotional weight that is beyond anything I’ve read. 

In Starcrush, I adapted Colette’s freely abandoned, sensual style to the modern, teen genre. The more explicit references meant for an adult reader have been appropriately tempered, while still maintaining the emotional thrust of Cheri.   

Q. How did writing this book affect you?

A. I’m drawn to intensity; the kind of emotions that unravel the characters so completely that you can’t tell where one ends, and the other begins.  When I wrote Starcrush, I was going through a series of personal crises, compounded by an epic hurricane that decimated the Jersey Shore and left us without power for weeks. Many writers feel that whatever is going on in their personal life finds its way into the book. During that time, I found my writer’s voice and began to explore the genre.

In the book, every scene, every moment is sourced from an actual experience — something I felt or endured that left an impression on me. Writing this book gave me the presence to explore past encounters, past hurts … and the ability to examine how they affected me from a safe distance.

Q. Is there anything you haven’t written about that you would like to in the future?

A. Of course. There’s always something to write about. I would like to write a different kind of vampire book series, one that doesn’t make use of the usual behaviors and props. I want to write stories where romance is the driving force instead of violence. I also want to write more poetic, lyrical prose that sways the modern reader like a music video.

Q. Which of your characters would you want to be and why?

That’s easy. I would have to be Genna, because Genna is who I used to be before I was old enough to vote, not necessarily who I am now. She’s essentially a flawed creature, given to narcissistic impulse, easily disillusioned and ready to jump to all the wrong conclusions. Through Genna’s perspective, the reader experiences her growth. In the first part of the book, Genna is forever resisting her emotions. Later we see a gradual acceptance, a readiness to allow love to transform at the deepest, core levels.  In the sequel, this transformation comes full circle and is truly … beyond perfect. 

Q. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?

Write under any set of circumstances — where conditions are uncomfortable and distracting. I seem to write best when I’m in this perfect mind set, when my body is fed and warm and music is lulling me into this creative trance-like state. I would like the ability to write with urgency, like a war correspondent in the middle of battle. 

Q. What are you currently reading?

...Anything Jane Austen, and of course, the Bronte sisters.  Wuthering Heights is my particular favorite, but any dark, brooding gothic romance from classic literature will do.

Q. All of the books you’ve read, which one has impacted you the most?

Pride and Prejudice because it beguiles the reader in so many powerful and understated ways … so that a smile becomes a promise, a glance or touch of the hand … an invitation.

Q. What gives you the most joy in life?

Spending time with my daughter, listening to music… and of course the moments when the words flow effortlessly, without impediment. 

Q. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?


Yes.  If Starcrush does nothing more than put a smile on your face at exactly the right moments intended — I have succeeded!      


Review:

Lisa: 
My thoughts on this book are so scattered. I had a hard time keeping up at first with the scattered thinking of Genna. I was so thrown off when Bryon was introduced because at that point I was sure the romance would be between Genna and Nick. 

But Genna is 17, I should have known better. I loved and hated Bryon's character. I don't want to give too much away but ugh he chose wrong. Then comes Elon and I loved his character but then hated Genna for giving up on Bryon. This was a great story, to bring out this reaction in me. 

The ending was a predictable thing, but the events right before left me shocked!! I almost feel like Bryon was shorted. I also have to know what Elon gave up. So now I am very eager to get my hands on the sequel  A different kinda paranormal that I am now hooked on!

Leann:
Well that ending left me hanging. I love when a book causes such strong emotion. I find that it doesn't really matter if its a romance, action, paranormal, erotica, or what if it has a good story line and can evoke strong emotions then its a read worth your time! 

This is one of those books. Some moments you want to throw it across the room because you are so angry with characters other moments you want to roll around hugging your pillow gushing about the aw moments. 

The characters were strong and well written. It was a captivating read that left me wanting more.

Rating:
  

&

check it out on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment