Friday, May 16, 2014

Author Interview: Caitlin Kerry


Name and/or pin name: Caitlin Kerry 
Books written: Finding June 
Home country or state: Idaho, USA
Bio: Caitlin Kerry is obsessed with the stories we tell. Her love of reading and writing led her to accomplish a goal she set for herself at the age of seventeen. She has a degree in History and Political Science and a Masters in Public Administration. Caitlin is an avid tea drinker, hopeful adventurer, lover of music and often finds the best medicine is the quiet of nature. 

When Caitlin isn't writing or reading she usually can be found enjoying the great outdoors with her geologist husband, always looking for the next adventure. She currently resides in Southeastern Idaho.

Links: 

Goodreads:
Amazon:

1. Who inspired you to become an author? I think all the books I read and my mom has always been such a big supporter of anything I've done. :) And honestly, I believed in myself and I think that's saying something. 

2. What is the first book you remember reading? In the second grade, I actually couldn't read. I was really behind the other kids so I had to go to um...I don't know what they call it today but in the 1990s it was like, the resource room or something and I had a year of one-on-one on improving my reading skills. I remember reading a book called Nina Nina Ballerina and I read it over and over again until I could read the whole book (the word "why" always threw my for a loop) In that year I went from not being able to read to a 6th grade reading level and I found a life long love of books! 

3. Do you have a favorite character that you have written so far or one you relate to most? and Why? (I know its a hard one) Well, I have one book published and working on two others. Out of those three characters, there are bits of me in each one. My debut book, Finding June, the main character June is a lot like me. Actually, my mom was reading the book and kept saying, "Caitlin- I keep picturing this book as you and with your voice!" and my response was, "Well mom, there are sex scenes in this book and if you picture June as me, that could be awkward.... ;) " 

4. What authors or genres inspire you most? I grew up reading a lot and in high school I thrived on books from John Green, Nora Roberts, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Sarah Dessen, and VC Andrews. I love anything that has a love story- paranormal, fantasy, contemp, YA, NA, adult- I read it all! 

5. Do you have any future books for us to look forward to or big news you want to share with us? Finding June is my debut novel and I've decided to do three books in the series, each can be a standalone. The series is called The Tell Me Series and the next book I'm working on is called BEING JOLENE and I have a plan to release before the end of the year. 

6. Any advice for those of us who want to take the leap into writing or publishing ourselves? Do what you love! And know that it takes a lot of hard work, but not to give up! :) 

7. How old were you when you started writing? middle school but not seriously until I started my masters degree. Because yes, I was crazy enough to write and publish my first book during my first year of grad school. 

Ok now for the silly stuff
1. What are some of your hobbies out side of writing and reading? I love being outside! hiking, swimming, biking, you name it! I am a huge music nerd. I have countless playlists on my spotify and always looking for new tunes. I also am an historian and love learning about different histories! 

2. Favorite Movie: I don't watch a lot of tv or movies but I do have a few favs: A Walk to Remember, Cruel Intentions and Crazy Stupid Love are just a few. 
    Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska by John Green
    Favorite Author: John Green, Sarah Dessen, Colleen Hoover, Karina Halle, Heather Lyons. Yeah picking just one is impossible ;) 
   Favorite Song: just one? yikes. Kathleen by Josh Ritter 
   Favorite Actor/actress: Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence 
    Dream Car: I kinda want a vintage car of some sorts. Just not sure which one. 

3. Do you have a current book boy friend? If so who is He? I have two: I just finished Nowhere But Here by Renee Carlino and I'm in love in Jamie from that book! And my longtime standing book boyfriend is Kellan Whitcomb from Heather Lyon's fate series :) (The first book is A Matter of Fate- seriously check out this amazing series!) 

4. Most embarrassing moment (that you are willing to share)? I have lots as I tend to be quite clumsy. In high school I tripped on the top stair and tumbled down and got so stuck I was like upside down and couldn't get up. A friend was laughing so hard, he couldn't even help me. 

5. Favorite place to travel? Anywhere! I would love to travel much more than I do but my husband I took a road trip down the PCH Hwy 1 last May and it was wonderful! I would love to visit all the national parks in the country. 

6. What book are you currently reading or just read? I just finished Shattered by Tracy Wolff, which comes out end of May, and it's the second book in the Extreme Risk series and I loved it! 

7. One thing your readers do not know about you? I totally have a guilty pleasure of watching YouTube Vlogs such as It'sGrace, The Shaytards, and Brotherhood 2.0 hehe and I love me book vloggers! 

8. Last but not least... What is your favorite color? Green and Red, but not together :) 

Excerpt - Finding June by Caitlin Kerry



I placed a kiss on his forehead like he had done to me so many times. I then kissed each of his closed eyes, moving down to the tip of his slightly crooked nose. He started to make very appreciative noises, as I finally kissed him softly on the lips. This finally woke him up and his eyes sleepily opened. Yep, this was perfection right here. I went in to kiss him again, and this time he was responsive as he kissed me back. We made out like teenagers hiding behind the bleachers, we couldn’t get enough of each other. His kisses were addictive and all I wanted to do was lie in this bed and make out all day. I didn’t even care about moving forward, this kissing was amazing. Reece shifted and suddenly I was underneath him, his hands running up my body.
Okay, maybe I did want to move forward.
His mouth moved to my neck, using his warm lips to lazily trail hot kisses from below my ear to my collarbone. His hands moved underneath my shirt and laid heavily on my waist as he claimed my mouth again. His hands and mouth were making me feel like there was this burning heat deep within me, coursing through my body, lighting me up and trying to find a way to shine, to release the built up energy. Our kisses were innocent in nature, but made me feel like I was drowning in desire, gasping for air and searching for the surface.
Suddenly I heard a Jolene say from below, “Incoming!” I tensed as I heard it, and then I felt something hard hit the bed. I gave a loud eek as Reece chuckled and moved away from me to find the object that had ruined the moment. Reece searched through the down comforter that was in a tangle of knots to find an orange.
Hooker was throwing fruit at me!
“Jo, what the fuck? Why are you throwing fruit at us?” I yelled as I reached for my glasses.
“Breakfast, come down and get it! Sounds like you guys need some fuel,” Jo stated.
I knew she was just trying to piss me off. I wasn’t making that much noise. Was I? Oh fuck, I probably was. As I swung my legs over the bed, Reece stopped me. “Wait, one for the road,” he said, leaning me back and kissing me.
I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment