Wednesday, September 4, 2013

LEANN'S REVIEW: A Discovery of Witches (Deborah Harkness) All Souls Trilogy #1

Title: A Discovery of Witches

Author: Deborah Harkness

Format: Hardcover

Series: All Souls Trilogy

Published: 2011 by Viking Penguin

ISBN13: 9780670022410

Source of Copy: Bought at Barnes and Noble

Summary:

A richly inventive novel about a centuries-old vampire, a spellbound witch, and the mysterious manuscript that draws them together.

Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.



(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)


Review:

"It begins with absence and desire. It begins with blood and fear. It begins with a discovery of witches..."

This maybe one of my all time favorite books! I was spellbound! I loved Diana's character. She is strong and independent. Fighting everything about her past to create her own path. Then the tall dark and handsome Mathew comes into her life. She realizes maybe she can't out run her past but must embrace it.

I found myself so emerged in this book. I truly felt I was right there with the characters. When I finished this book I immediately wanted to read it again! There was so much detail to every page. You find yourself imagining exactly what each place looked, felt and smelled like. (You know the author put in tons of research time here) The amount of knowledge the author need to write such an intriguing and intricate novel... My goodness.

I do not want to give too much away on this story so I will keep the spoilers out. BUT SERIOUSLY YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK. It is well over 600 pages so make sure you start it when you have some free time (maybe the weekend), because I promise you that you will not want to put this down once you crack that cover.

The ending is the biggest cliffhanger of your life, so be prepared to want the second book in the series right now. Please do not think this is an easy read. If you go into this book thinking so you might be disappointed. As I said it is a bit lengthy. This book is no teen romance or cheesy love story. This book will intrigue mentally as well as emotionally. Very well written and will get the highest rating in my book!


Rating:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment